Thursday, February 20, 2014

Interview.



          I have to thank my mother and her best friend Patrick and his family for helping me out on my interview with the Aranda tribe! It is actually pretty great that they live in Australia and Patrick's oldest daughter works at the one of the many National Park called Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park. Thank goodness for skype because my mother's best friend's daughter used her phone to get the interview started.

          This is Poala, she has been living in the tribe ever since she brought to the world. I told her I loved her name and it reminded me of my cousin's name Paula. She said it's pretty similar and it originated from the Spanish. "Your name is beautiful, what it means?" she asked. I went to answer her question and then her grandchildren came over and started to surround her and ask a bunch of questions! It was very funny, I did not get many of my questions answered because they were asking so much about me and how I liked America and how I found out about them.

          What I did get out of Poala was when I asked her, "How did the area and people change from when you were a young girl?" Her face expression was quite funny, her eyes opened wide and she started to wave her hands around as she was thinking of how to respond. She told me that she has grown older, there were more and more tourists and other people coming into the country. Sometimes there were people that would try to bribe the people for money to buy the land and use it for tourists to come and "live the Aboriginal life as close as they could." She told me her and the other tribe members stayed strong and worked together and kept what was theirs and protect what their ancestors and nature gave them.

          Paola's grandchildren told me they wanted to stay in contact and hope we can skype again soon. It was a great experience and they were such wonderful people. Cannot wait to see them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment